Passport Information

Passport Applications

Passport services are available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. For more information about passports and passport forms, please visit the U.S. Department of State passport website or call (651)385-3223 or (651)385-3231.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

(Bring one document).

  1. Expired U.S. Passport
  2. Certified copy of Birth Certificate if born in the United States. It must show: name of the child (including the given name); date of birth; place of birth; date the certificate was filed in the registrar’s office - This date must be within one year of birth; signature of registrar and authorized seal of that office
  3. Naturalization Certificate
  4. Certificate of Birth Abroad as issued by the State Department
  5. If a foreign born child was born February 28, 1983 or after is claiming citizenship through their parents or was adopted by a US citizen, please visit the U.S. Department of State passport website.
  6. IMPORTANT - Hospital Birth Certificates and Baptismal Certificates are not acceptable.


(Bring one document)

  • Expired U.S. Passport may be acceptable, but please bring other ID that you might have
  • Naturalization Certificate if issued within the last five years
  • Current Drivers License
  • (Not a temporary or a learners permit, and not a State photo Id card)
  • Government ID Card (Federal, State or Municipal)
  • Pilots License
  • Official Military ID

If you cannot supply the above identification, bring a person with you who has known you for at least two years and who has one of the above acceptable forms of identification. They will be asked to complete an “Affidavit of Identifying Witness Form”. You and / or the applicant must provide two forms of some type of identification. A State Issued Photo ID would be a valid form of secondary identification.

Passport Photos

Please wear conservative clothing - strapless tops, tank tops and thin / spaghetti strapped tops are not acceptable. One photo is required. You may have your photo taken here ($15) or bring in your own photo.

The photos must meet the following requirements:

  1. They must be duplicates and capable of withstanding a mounting temperature of 225 degrees F.
  2. Size: 2 inches by 2 inches, with the image size not less than 1 inch or more than 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head including the hair.
  3. Color- The photos must be in color.
  4. The background must be a solid white or off-white. Other colors are not acceptable.
  5. School Pictures are not acceptable.

For digital photos, please refer to the US Department of State website.


When applying for a passport, you will be required to pay two separate fees (passport fee-check or money order only and execution fee-cash or check). We currently do not accept credit or debit cards.

Adults (16 years & Up)

Passports are good for 10 years. Applicants under 18 must have parental permission.

  1. Passport Book Fee ($110) - Acceptable forms of payment includes a personal check or money order.
    Passport Card Fee ($30) - Acceptable forms of payment includes a personal check or money order. Payable to: US Department of State
  2. Expedite Service Fee ($60) - For faster processing time.
  3. Execution fee ($35) - Acceptable forms of payment includes check, money order or cash.
    Payable to: Goodhue County Recorder

Minors (under 16 years)

Passports are valid for 5 years. To apply for a passport for any child under age 16, please have all of the following items:

  1. Consent from both parents for the child to have a passport. This can be provided in two ways:
    1. Both parents appearing with photo ID.
    2. One parent present with a notarized Statement of Consent form from the other parent.
  2. A certified copy of the child's birth certificate, even if the child has had a previous passport.
  3. Passport fees ($80) - Acceptable forms of payment include a personal check or money order.
    Payable to: US Department of State
  4. Execution fees ($35) - Acceptable forms of payment include check, money order or cash.
    Payable to: Goodhue County Recorder
  5. All minors must be present at the time of application.

For more information regarding passports for minors under age 16, please visit the U.S. Department of State website. Your SSN must be included on the form for all applicants. Apply for your passport early to insure that you receive it in time. If you have any questions or special needs, please call ahead for help. Once issued, the passport will be mailed directly from the passport agency to your mailing address as indicated on the application.

Passport Cards

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.


The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. For adults who already have a passport book, they may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $30. First-time applicants will pay $30 for adult cards and $15 for children, along with execution fee of $25.

Frequent Travel

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.