Marriage Licenses

Appointments strongly encouraged (8:30am-3:30pm)


  • Our office is located at 509 W. 5th Street, Red Wing, MN. This is the only office in Goodhue County where you can apply for a marriage license.
  • Both people must apply in person.
  • You must have a license purchased before getting married. A license purchased in Minnesota is only valid in Minnesota and can not be used in any other state. A marriage license must be used within six months or it expires.
  • No blood test or physical is required.
  • To obtain a marriage license (without parental consent) you must be 18 years of age. Be prepared to present valid identification.
  • For each person, you must know the full legal name, address, date and place of birth, telephone numbers and social security numbers (if you have one).
  • You must know the names after marriage and an after-marriage address.

Anyone changing their name as part of the marriage license process must state on the marriage license application whether they have ever been convicted of a felony. If the party changing their name has a felony conviction, there is a procedure that must be followed before the marriage license can be issued with that name change. If the person changing their name is not present at the time of application, the Supplemental Marriage License Application may be submitted by the other party.



The fee is $115. Checks and money orders can be made payable to Goodhue County.

If you have completed 12 hours of special premarital counseling as specified in paragraph b of statue 517.08 subd. 1b, you may be eligible for the reduced marriage license application fee of $40 instead of $115. Proof of Counseling must be presented at the time of application. A marriage license is to be used within six months.

MOMS logo

Local Registrars

The Local Registrars for Vital Records for each county within Minnesota are independently responsible for maintaining the county’s marriage records. Frequently, customers are unsure where the marriage certificate is filed which generates a statewide search for the custodial county of the record.

In the fall of 2007, the MN Association of County Officers (MACO) eCounties Committee and the MACO Vitals Marriage Subcommittee created a statewide marriage index, the MN Official Marriage System (MOMS). The index will show the bride and groom’s name, the year of the marriage and the county that holds the record. MOMS will enable individual customers to search and order a certificate from the custodial county.

All Minnesota counties are participating in this voluntary system. Each county will download specific marriage data into the system. MOMS will eventually contain all the necessary data from the 1850’s to present.

The Local Registrars and MACO eCounties are proud to have achieved the creation of MOMS with the joint efforts of county offices and technology. Visit MOMS for more information.


  • Please call us at 651-385-3148
  • If you are under 18 years of age, please call 651-385-3148 for further information

If you are interested in a civil marriage ceremony, you must contact a judge yourself. Minnesota does not have any Justice of the Peace. Referees cannot perform marriages and not all Judges wish to perform marriages.