Appointments strongly encouraged (8:30am-4:00pm)
- Our office is located at 509 W. 5th Street, Red Wing, MN. This is the only office in Goodhue County where you can apply for a marriage license.
- Both people must apply in person.
- You must have a license purchased before getting married. A license purchased in Minnesota is only valid in Minnesota and can not be used in any other state. A marriage license must be used within six months or it expires.
- No blood test or physical is required.
- To obtain a marriage license (without parental consent) you must be 18 years of age. Be prepared to present valid identification.
- For each person, you must know the full legal name, address, date and place of birth, telephone numbers and social security numbers (if you have one).
- You must know the names after marriage and an after-marriage address.
Anyone changing their name as part of the marriage license process must state on the marriage license application whether they have ever been convicted of a felony. If the party changing their name has a felony conviction, there is a procedure that must be followed before the marriage license can be issued with that name change. If the person changing their name is not present at the time of application, the Supplemental Marriage License Application may be submitted by the other party.
- Marriage License Application (PDF)
- Supplemental Marriage License Application for Party Not Appearing (PDF)
- Do Not Sign Application Until Instructed to Do So
The fee is $115. We accept cash, checks, money orders or credit cards. Checks and money orders can be made payable to Goodhue County.
If you have completed 12 hours of special premarital counseling as specified in paragraph b of statue 517.08 subd. 1b, you may be eligible for the reduced marriage license application fee of $40 instead of $115. Proof of Counseling must be presented at the time of application. A marriage license is to be used within six months.
Marriage records can be searched on the Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS). Goodhue County Recorder's office has marriage records dating from 1856 to present for those applicants who have applied for their marriage license in Goodhue County.
REQUESTING A CERTIFIED COPY OF A MARRIAGE RECORD
A certified copy is $9. Copies of marriage records can be requested in person or by mail.
By mail- Complete the request form and mail a check or money order to Goodhue County Recorder's Office.
- Please call us at 651-385-3148
- If you are under 18 years of age, please call 651-385-3148 for further information
If you are interested in a civil marriage ceremony, you must contact a judge yourself. Minnesota does not have any Justice of the Peace. Referees cannot perform marriages and not all Judges wish to perform marriages.