Child Care Licensing

Goodhue County Health & Human Services is responsible to license and monitor family child care homes in Goodhue County.

If you are interested in applying for a family child care license or would like someone to discuss the child care program with you, please call 651-385-2052, for the child care licensor.

Licensing Steps

  1. Call 651-385-2052 to obtain the paperwork to begin the licensing process.
  2. You will be notified in the initial packet of the next orientation date. Attendance for the orientation is required. Minnesota Rule 9502 and Minnesota Statues 245A and 245C will be reviewed. Additional paperwork will be given to you to continue the licensing process.
  3. A home inspection is scheduled after the following is completed/submitted: 
    a. Application and licensing fee 
    b. Fire Marshal Inspection, if warranted 
    c. Background studies 
    d. Physician's Reports 
    e. References 
    f. Other paperwork (Provider Policy/Contract, Emergency Preparedness Plan, Floor & Escape Plan, Providers Agreement, Your Privacy Rights, etc.) 
    g. Pet vaccinations 
    h. Well test 
    i. Pre-service training
  4. The licensing worker will conduct a home safety inspection and interview with the applicant.
  5. When the above has been completed, the county will submit the application to the Minnesota Department of Human Services and the license will be issued.
  6. Expect the process to take approximately 3 to 4 months after the county receives the application.

Child Safety

Read the Minnesota Department of Human Services resource on your child's safety in licensed family child care (PDF).


During the 2003 legislative session, the legislature authorized counties to charge licensed child-care homes fees for background checks and home inspections. In Goodhue County, the fees are as follows:

  • Initial licensing fee - $50
  • Re-licensing fee - $100

These fees are payable to Goodhue County Health & Human Services. Fees are non-refundable.

An additional fee may be required if a fire inspection is warranted. This fee is $50 and payable to the City of Red Wing Fire Department (personal check) if you reside in Red Wing city limits or payable to DPS-State Fire Marshal (with payment in the form of a money order or certified check). This fee should be submitted to the Goodhue County Child Care Licensor.

Other Resources

Family and Group Family Child Care general licensing information (PDF)

Dept. of Human Services Licensed Family Child Care Website for information and forms.

Guide to Becoming a Licensed Family Care Provider