Property Tax Refunds & Senior Citizen Deferrals

Property Tax Refunds

There are 2 refund programs available to owners of homesteaded property through the State of Minnesota.

  • Regular Refund: Sometimes called the "circuit breaker," is based on your household income and the amount of property tax you pay.
  • Special Refund: To qualify, your net property tax must increase by at least 12% and $100. The special refund is not based on income. For more information or to determine if you are eligible for either of these refunds read and fill out Form M1PR.

Forms and instructions are available from the State of Minnesota (see more).

Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral

To be eligible, you must be at least 65 years old with a household income of $60,000 or less and have lived in your home for at least 15 years. If you qualify, your taxes cannot exceed 3% of your net income.

The State of Minnesota will pay any remaining tax as a low interest loan. The unpaid tax along with accumulated interest will become a lien on the property. This lien must be satisfied upon sale of the property. Participants who apply for property tax refunds or rebates will not receive the refunds or rebates as cash payments. Instead, the refunds or rebates will be applied to the deferred property tax total. Forms and instructions are available from the State of Minnesota.