Appeal Options

Call the Assessor's Office First

If you have questions or disagree with the classification or Estimated Market Value of your property for the current year, please contact the Assessor's Office at 651-385-3040 to discuss your concerns. Often your issues can be resolved at this level. 

Formal Appeal Options

 There are two avenues of appeal that property owners may take to challenge their assessment:

Option 1: Attend a Local Meeting

You may appear before the Boards of Appeal and Equalization/Open Book in person, through a letter or through a representative authorized by you.

  • Step 1: Local Board of Appeal and Equalization/Open Book. If your questions or concerns are not resolved by contacting the Assessor's Office, you may appear before the Local Board of Appeal and Equalization (LBAE) or attend your Open Book Meeting.  The date, time and location of this meeting can be found on your Valuation Statement. 
  • Step 2: County Board of Appeal and Equalization.  To appeal at this level, you must first appeal at the LBAE.  If the LBAE did not resolve your concern, you may bring your case to the County Board of Appeal and Equalization.  You must call 651-385-3040 in advance to get on the agenda.  The date, time and location of this meeting can be found on your Valuation Notice.   

Option 2: Minnesota Tax Court

This option bypasses both the Local and County Boards of Appeal, or it may be used after the other appeals.  Petitions to the Minnesota Tax Court must be filed on or before April 30 of the year of the year the tax becomes payable.  For more information, visit the Minnesota Tax Court website.

Understanding Your Assessment and the Appeals Process