Goodhue County GIS Users Group (GCUG)
To serve as a forum for Goodhue County area public and private entities to share information, ideas, and strategies utilizing geospatial data and to form strategic partnerships to better utilize this data to promote community and economic development throughout the region.
Starting in November 2006, Goodhue County Geographic Information Systems (GIS) staff contacted representatives from each of the municipalities within Goodhue County as well as the Prairie Island Indian Community (PIIC) and Goodhue County Cooperative Electric. Goodhue County proposed to form a county-wide GIS users group, which would include a cost-sharing agreement. The group of representatives continued to meet and discuss the initiative until early summer in 2007. County staff then presented to different councils and boards from August through October 2007 regarding the Users Group formation and the cost-sharing agreement. The Users Group license agreement officially took effect on January 2nd, 2008.
- To provide better service to the public by enabling elected officials and management the ability to make more informed decisions based on a wealth of public information which can be processed and displayed by GIS technology.
- To grant each participating agency access to Goodhue County GIS datasets in order to enhance services to its residents.
- To foster a stronger GIS relationship between Goodhue County and participating agencies.
- To assure uniformity and accuracy of data created and used throughout the county.
- To reduce the duplication of effort and expense related to GIS projects, including data collection and data maintenance.
- Shared cost of current and future GIS data acquisition
- Better collaboration regarding future GIS projects and/or data acquisition
- More efficient distribution of updated Goodhue County GIS data, including parcels, orthophotos, 2ft contours, street centerlines, and others
- Access to County GIS personnel for special projects or online mapping site updates
- Shared cost of agency-specific online GIS mapping sites, maintained by Goodhue County
- Access to GIS data and/or functionality in addition to what is currently available on the Goodhue County's public online mapping site
The Goodhue County GIS users group meets quarterly at the Goodhue County Government Center building. For more information regarding the users group meetings, you may review the current and past meeting agendas and minutes. (All documents are in pdf format)
Data Use & Acceptance Agreement
Service Request Form
Data Distribution Approval Form
Links to other GIS Users Groups:
MN GIS/LIS Consortium Users Group Listing
For more information about the Goodhue County GIS Users Group, please contact Alan Laumeyer, the GIS Specialist at: 651-385-3094 or
by sending an email