Follow Along Program
This is a program for infants and children birth to 3 years old to help parents track their child's development.
Babies and young children grow and learn at their own rate. However, some children need special help to grow up healthy and learn skills such as sitting, walking, or talking. Minnesota´s Follow Along Program will help you know if your child is playing, talking, growing, moving, and acting like other children the same age.
What is the Follow Along Program?
- A good way to learn about your child´s health and development
- A fun way to get ideas about “what to teach” and “at what age” to teach it
- A simple way to ask questions about how your child is hearing, moving, seeing, playing, talking, learning, growing, and acting
- An easy way to find out about other services you may want for your child
How Does the Follow Along Program Work?
- A professional, most often a nurse, may visit with you (in person or over the phone) to tell you more about the program and find out more about your child.
- Questionnaires are sent to you when your child reaches different ages such as 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30, and 36 months old. Each questionnaire asks how your child is growing, playing, talking, moving, and acting.
- Handouts with fun activities for you to do with your child are also sent to you.
- The results of the questionnaires will be shared with you. If there are any concerns, a nurse or other professional from the program will get in touch with you. Together, you can talk about choices for further evaluation or early help services.
- When your child is 36 months old, you will get information about the next step, Early Childhood Screening.
Is There a Cost?
No. There is no cost to you.
How Do I Sign Up?
Contact a Family Health Nurse at 651-385-6100.